- Houseparty, a FaceTime meets Zoom meets trivia-style app, taken off since COVID-19 pandemic forced millions into isolation
- Zoom took off 3 months ago in US but Houseparty skyrocketed to #1 in last 3 weeks in Australia and New Zealand, Canada and the England
Launched 4 years ago by Ben Rubin, former CEO of the live streaming app Meerkat, and Sima Sistani, former head of media at Tumblr, Houseparty was acquired by Epic Games in 2019 and has “zoomed” to the top of the charts in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom since the coronavirus pandemic essentially took control of the world and sent everyone inside three weeks ago.
Download Your FREE Ultimate Agent Survival Guide Now. This is the exact ‘do this now’ info you need. Learn NOW How to Access All The Bailout Program Cash You Deserve. Including Unemployment and Mortgage Forbearance Plans. To Access the Ultimate Agent Survival Guide Now Text The Word SURVIVAL to 47372. 4 Msgs/Month. Reply STOP to cancel, HELP for help. Msg&data rates may apply. Terms & privacy: slkt.io/JWQt
Houseparty is thought to be a more “laid-back” application than Zoom.” No scheduling is required. People can join and exit the chat at any time.
Here’s how it works:
- When joining, the app asks permission to connect with your contacts and social networks.
- The app can add existing contacts to your friends list.
- Opening the app signals your friends list that you’re available and around to talk and also displays a list of your friends who are currently online as well as “live” parties you can join.
- The app has a dropdown tab for games.
- There is no meeting link or ID to access the chat.
- The app can be available for mobile use.
- The app requires a Chrome extension and a macOS app.
- The app can offer its users the option of staring private conversations but that function is not in the platform’s default.
Mostly, Houseparty is a quick way to connect with people spontaneously. Users do NOT recommend replacing Zoom for Houseparty for business purposes but, until Zoom remedies its current security problems, you may just want to pick up the phone the “old fashioned way” and talk with your clients on FaceTime and your buddies with Houseparty.
Thanks to Zara Stone writing for onezero.