Wanna-be Millennial first-time buyers rented more in 2021 than they have in five years.
High-Earning Millennials Found Renting to be Only Option in 2021
Despite Millennials becoming the highest share of first-time home buyers in 2021, high-earning Millennials (with an annual income of more than $50,000/year), submitted 39% of all rental applications in 2021, according to RentCafe. This share of 39% is their largest share in the rental market in five years.
The highly competitive pandemic housing market has not been kind to Millennials, even though many among this demographic have the income and down payment to buy.
Millennials, of course, are not the only demographic renting more in 2021 as we saw rental vacancies plummet and rent prices skyrocket during the year. But, the Millennial rental-market share of 39% increased by +20% over the year. It also dwarfed the +12% rental growth of Gen-Xers and the +7% rental growth of Boomers, all of whom met the same income threshold.
According to John Burns, founder of John Burns Real Estate Consulting, the rental market in 2021 was hotter than the housing market.
Please choose one answer:
1) I am ready to join EXP Realty.
2) I am interested in EXP Realty and need more info.
3) I am not interested in EXP Realty.
* If you answered “#1” congratulations. You are about to join the fastest-growing real estate company in the world. Tim and Julie Harris are inviting you to join them at EXP Realty. Text Tim directly for the next steps: 512-758-0206. (text only please)
* If you answered “#2” please watch the videos and check out the other intel on this site. http://whylibertas.com/harris .
* If you answered ‘#3’ no worries. You will want to check out whylibertas.com/harris so you can at least know what EXP Realty is and why so many agents are moving to EXP.
Where Did Millennials Rent in 2021
Just as Millennial homebuyers favored smaller cities and towns, RentCafe, in its recent study, found that Millennial renters favored smaller cities with populations under 300,000.
Are you ready to learn what your DISC personality style is? You know it’s critical that you understand what your natural personality style is. Once you have obtained this knowledge everything in your business and personal life will change for the better. Tim and Julie Harris are making it super simple for you to have this powerful info. Now, text the word YOU to 47372, and when you do you will instantly receive a special exclusive text link. Next, you will complete your own DISC personality test.. the results will be shared with you instantly once you complete the simple and fun test, no strings attached. Simply text the word YOU to 47372 and click the link.
P.S. (Limited time: no charge to take the complete test)
* 4 Msgs/Month. Reply STOP to cancel, HELP for help. Msg&data rates may apply. Terms & Privacy: slkt.io/JWQt
RentCafe analyzed 5.9M rental applications from RentGrow, inc. over 40,000 apartment communities. Among the top 15 cities ranked by growth in rental applications, 11 of the top cities were small, three were medium-size with populations of 300,000 – 600,000 and one was large.
Take a look:
Millennial Rental Surge
Change in Applications Share City City Size
- +83% Macon GA Small
- +78% Mesa AZ Midsize
- +75% Spokane WA Small
- +72% Kentwood MI Small
- +71% Knoxville TN Small
- +61% Columbus GA Small
- +61% Arlington TX Midsize
- +59% Peoria AZ Small
- +59% Bradenton FL Small
- +54% Smyma GA Small
- +54% Lexington KY Midsize
- +54% Daytona Beach FL Small
- +53% Marietta GA Small
- +53% Murfreesboro TN Small
- +51% Indianapolis IN Large
Thanks to RentCafe and The New York Times.