What makes a home a luxury home? Mansion Global’s Lucy Cohen Blatter asked Barbara van Beuren, one of the country’s few women real estate developers. Van Beuren, a registered architect, co-heads up New York’s real estate development firm Andrew along with her husband Stephen Glascock.
The firm’s projects include a hotel to condominium conversion at 110 Central Park South; a Yorkville condominium, Citizen 360, on NY’s Upper East Side; 207 W79th, a condominium in a landmarked building on the Upper West Side; and a major site currently in progress in Hamilton Heights for two 11-story buildings.
- A home in which the rooms integrate the indoors and outdoors including the landscaping
- Contemporary design that utilizes natural materials
- A warm climate with abundant light dancing in the space
- If not water views then a pool
What does luxury mean to you?
- Luxury is quality rather than quantity
- Luxury means well crafted, well detailed, well designed, well located
What area will be the hub for luxury properties?
- Accessible areas…areas that one can easily get in to and out of
- Accessibility to great climate, culture, activities, restaurants
Where are the luxury markets in the world today and why?
- “Follow the money and you’ll find luxury homes.”
- London, New York, Hong Kong, San Francisco
The most valuable amenity to have in a home right now?
- Technology that is integrated into one platform to control the home’s environment
- Technology that controls the home’s air, light, energy use, security system, entertainment, sound, etc.
- Access to workout spaces
Best piece of real estate advice?
- “Make sure you don’t fall in love with anything. That’s when you’re going to make mistakes.
- Understand a property, do your do diligence be able to say no and walk away.”
Best areas for real estate investing?
- Attributes that make the space valuable – views, high ceilings, light, good proportions
- Anywhere near parks and water views
- NOT no-man’s-land
Currently best resale value in NYC?
- Tried and true areas
- 5th Avenue
- Central Park West
- Parts of Brooklyn