Focus, lead followup, journaling & change. These are 4 daily rituals that you can do to help you take charge of your career and empower you to make the changes in life necessary to put your real estate career (and your life!) into high gear.
- The ritual of simply doing one thing, and only one thing, at a time. Multitasking is a MYTH. We sacrifice our power of being present when we’re multitasking… and we do so for a perceived benefit of improved productivity that simply doesn’t exist. Research indicates that multi-taskers are actually less likely to be productive, yet they feel more emotionally satisfied with their work, thus creating an illusion of productivity.
- Do you check social media apps on your phone when you’re sitting in your office meeting, or when you’re spending time with family and friends?
- Do you eat lunch at your desk, or while you’re on the freeway?
- Is the TV often on in your home, even when you’re busy doing other things?
- Do you send the occasional text message while driving?
The biggest cost of doing multiple things at once like this (assuming you don’t crash from the occasional texting and driving) is a gradual decline in your productivity and happiness over the long-term.
When you get in the habit of persistently dividing your attention, you’re partially engaged in every activity, but rarely focused on any one. And this dizzying lack of focus eventually trips you up and destroys your production.
Let’s use a quick metaphor to bring this point home:
If you hold a magnifying glass over a small pile of dry leaves as the sun shines bright on the hottest afternoon of the whole year, NOTHING will happen…
…so long as you keep moving the magnifying glass quickly from one leaf to the next.
But as soon as you hold the magnifying glass still and FOCUS the sun’s rays on one single leaf, the whole pile of leaves will ignite into flames.
FOCUS = Follow One Course Until Successful!
That’s the power of focusing on one thing at a time.
Your opportunity on a daily basis is to realize that you are the magnifying glass in your own life, and that you can intentionally focus the energy you get from the world on one single leaf at a time. When you do so, you will ignite incredible “flames” that move your projects, your dreams, your relationships, and even the world around you, forward.
- The ritual of calling 100% of your leads back, urgently, 100% of the time. It doesn’t make sense to add on any lead generation ‘spokes’ when you’re not the BEST at following up on what you already HAVE. This specific habit can improve your production by as much as 50%, year over year. If you’re a Premier Coaching client, follow the 18 Relentless Lead Follow Up Rules and see how your business will be changed forever.
- The ritual of journaling (for fifteen minutes or less).
J.K. Rowling keeps a journal. Eminem keeps a journal. Oprah keeps a journal. Successful people all over the world—those who consistently make positive changes in their lives—reflect daily and learn from their life experiences. And they often use some kind of journal to accomplish this.
If you want to get somewhere in life, you need a map. Your journal is that map. You can write down what you did today, what you tried to accomplish, your challenges and victories, what you’re grateful for, etc. It’s a place to reflect. It’s a place to capture important thoughts. It’s a place to sort out where you’ve been and where you intend to go. And it’s one of the most underused, yet incredibly effective tools. It’s inexpensive, highly effective and cathartic.
- The ritual to Change what you have the power to change and leave the rest alone.
Accept that there are no perfect transactions, no perfect prospects, no perfect closings in real estate. Embrace the Serenity Prayer…
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.