Napoleon Hill, considered a monument to individual achievement and author of the all time best-selling book Think and Grow Rich, said that a goal is a dream with a deadline. He also said that only 8 out of 100 people ever achieve their goals. “After the ‘fresh start effect’ wears out,” said Hill, “so does the motivation.”
Hill believed, he passed in 1970, there are common reasons for giving up on goals…
*Picking the wrong objectives (unrealistic, overly
• Setting the bar either too high or too low
• Lacking guidance and support
• Not planning strategies for overcoming obstacles
• Not following through..
Hill said and wrote again and again, “It’s not enough to set a goal. One has to follow through in order to achieve it.”
Translating Hill’s motivational principles into contemporary terminology, here are 6 tips to help you unlock the power of goal-tracking and build a dream life…
1. Be a STAR – Set goals; Track your progress; Analyze your results; Reset your goals.
2. Make goals track-able by setting SMART goals – specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-bounded goals.
3. Focus on daily habits that will get you where you want to go.
4. Keep track of your progress in consistent, structured ways rather than keeping track of your progress in your head. Use an app or keep a journal to track your progress. Make your tracking comparable to previous efforts you’ve made towards achieving your goals. Tracking is motivational all by itself and it fosters self-awareness.
5. Give yourself rewards for your progress. Tracking easily enables you to define your milestones…every time you reach a milestone, no matter how large or small, reward yourself with something that makes sense to your efforts.
6. Analyze your results so you can adjust your goals. What works? What doesn’t? Update/revise/add your targets on a monthly basis.
Be the one of 8% in your brokerage firm who actually reaches your goals every time by being a SMART STAR.