If you and/or your clients, friends and family dream of retiring to a beautiful place without country club living, golf courses and resort-style norms, check out these five international cities recommended by International Living.
All of these cities share high quality of life quotients, stunningly beautiful surroundings and lower costs of living.
- Sintra, Portugal, located just 40-minutes by train from Portugal’s capital city, Lisbon, is an “arts niche” in one of the most beautiful and affordable countries in the world. Though pricier than other Portuguese cities, the town itself is filled with Moorish doorways, watchtowers and the famous 19thC Palace of Pena surrounded by pine forests. A median living cost per couple including everything is approximately $3005/month according to internationalliving.com.
- Lusco, Peru is Peru’s most historic city. Once an Incan capital, Lusco was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site some years ago. Pre-Columbian ruins and crystal clear skies fill this high altitude city, 11.200 feet, and surrounding areas. Machu Picchu is just a short distance from this ancient, pedestrian only town. A median living cost per couple including everything is approximately $1,700/month.
- Ireland’s West Coast in County Clare is filled with the iconic Cliffs of Moher, the Wild Atlantic Way cycling/driving route, the Aran Islands, Ireland’s world famous National Horse Center and Punchestown racing facility, heart rendering Celtic music and wonderfully friendly, heartwarming people. A median living cost per couple including everything is approximately $2,800/month.
- San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, another UNESCO World Heritage City about 4-5 hours outside of Mexico City, offers ex-pats and visitors alike a smorgasbord of cultural traditions on a human scale, a world renowned, annual summer music festival, historical and living arts, mild weather year-round and low cost living. The area is a magnet for artists and musicians from all over the world. A median living cost per couple including everything is approximately $1,650.
- Siem Reap, Cambodia offers expats and visitors alike a city steeped in rich history, traditions and culture. One of the world’s larges religious monuments in the world, the ruins of Angker Wat, is just 10 minutes from the city center. A median living cost per couple including everything is approximately $1,100/month.