- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) identifies 10 counties at highest risk for quakes, floods and fires
- FEMA released its Natural Risk Index last week, ranking of 3,000 counties at risk of 18 types of natural disasters
- Index focuses on frequency of occurrence, extent of damage to life and property and level of recovery preparedness
Natural disasters due to hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding and higher sea levels, wildfires, earthquakes, etc. are becoming the norm. Such multiple, devastating events in certain areas of the United States are only increasing in occurrences and severity. The time is now to recognize these realities in order that we better prepare for them.
Are you ready to join EXP REALTY? Choose Tim and Julie Harris as your sponsor! Text Tim directly 512-758-0206.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has just released its Natural Risk Index that ranks the counties nationwide most at risk of the natural disasters in terms of frequency, damage to life and property, and the counties’ level of recovery preparedness.
Here are FEMA’s top 10 riskiest counties in the US:
Los Angeles County
- This second largest city in the US lives with earthquakes and wildfires on a regular basis
- Due to its proximity to the Pacific Coast, LA County is also at risk of tornadoes, a volcanic eruption or tsunami
- Insurance rates are some of the highest in the country
Get your free 2021 Fill In The Blank Business Plan Now. Simply TEXT 2021 to 855-685-1045.
- Severe winter storms, flooding and tornadoes threaten New Yorkers regularly
- Due to high poverty rates in the Bronx, many residents may not have a necessary safety net to rebuild a destroyed home
New York County (Manhattan)
- Increasingly frequent and severe winter storms and the county’s lack of preparedness for them render New York County’s high ranking on this risk list
- Many historic buildings in Manhattan not built to withstand even minor natural disasters
Kings County (Brooklyn)
- Kings County devastated by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 due to the county’s density and proximity to the coast
- Because county not commonly thought to be high risk area, there is no training in disaster preparedness nor is there any emergency preparedness county-wide
- Entire country now anticipates storm damage to the Florida Coast every September and October
- Scientists estimate that human-caused sea level changes may put Miami underwater within the next 80 years
- Risk of tornadoes is among the highest in the country here
- City is ill-prepared to deal with both heat waves and snowstorms that have left citizens and power companies off-guard and flat-footed
- Severe storms reported annually in Dallas-Fort Worth since 2016
- Dallas no stranger to any disaster type, save volcanic eruptions, from flooding to extreme heat to tornadoes
- FEMA identified Dallas as being unmatched in terms of hail that rains down in droves
St. Louis County (Missouri)
- Midwest is hotspot for hurricanes, tornadoes, storms, flooding, and extreme heat are constant risks
- Residents and city workers are well-trained in how to respond to such natural disasters
Riverside County (California)
- Though protected from coastal water-related crises, Riverside County at high risk of wind-driven and fast moving wildfires
- In December 2020, wildfires burned through over 2,000 acres of land and necessitated property evacuations in county known for dry weather and miles of flammable natural forests
San Bernardino County (California)
- Neighboring Riverside County, San Bernardino County owns the same lethal combination of dry weather and national forest land that foster high rates of wildfires
- Residents and county workers are well-prepared for wildfires and evacuations but as one of most populous counties in the state, this county is a risky place to build and insure a home
Thanks to Inman.
URGENT: 2021 Results Released. New FREE On-Line Web Event Reveals 17 Surprising Secrets Of The Top 100 Millionaire Agents. Get Your FREE Spot For The On-Line Webinar Now. When You Attend This Event You Will Have A Sense Of Relief Knowing You Can FINALLY Laugh At Your Money Worries – If You Follow This Simple Plan. Learn How To Generate 100’s of Motivated Leads Without Coming Off As A Pushy Salesperson and Losing Your Soul. Learn Now How To Become One of the 1000s of Agents Making HUGE Money NOW Who Never Thought They Could.