Housing interests and home search patterns on Google have changed. Use these changes in your marketing to spike interest from buyers, renters and homeowners.
Comparison of Monthly Google Home Searches from 2019, 2020 and 2021
By comparing the average monthly Google home searches from 2019 to 2020 and 2021, Point2, an international real estate search portal, found that housing consumers are using different search terms to find the houses they want.
READ: 2022 Top Agent Success Secrets [Revealed]: New FREE Real Estate Coaching Web Event, Revealing 17 Surprising Secrets Of The Top 100 $ Millionaire Agents. Get Your FREE Spot For The 2022 Real Estate Coaching Webinar Now. After You Have Attended This Event You Will Have A Huge Feeling Of Relief Knowing You Will FINALLY Laugh At Your Money Worries – You Will Have Your Own Personalized 2022 Step-By-Step Business Plan. Learn Now How To Generate 100’s of Motivated Leads for FREE, Without Coming Off As A Pushy Salesperson and Losing Your Soul. You Will Soon Know How To Become One of the 1000s of Agents Making HUGE Money Who Never Thought They Could. YES, I Want To Attend The FREE Webinar! <——Click To Register
Point2 analysts found that when agents/brokers used these latest consumer-shifting search terms in their own marketing efforts, they saw some of the biggest spikes in interest from buyers, renters, and homeowners.
Here are some of Point2’s findings:
- Homebuyers’ searches show an increase in terms like affordable homes for sale (up 108% in 2020 and a further 30% in 2021), house with pool or tiny home for sale;
- Renters brought new search phrases into the spotlight throughout 2020 and 2021, like rent relief, which spiked from a low 90 searches per month in 2019 to 49,500 in 2021, along with eviction moratorium which went from 40 searches per month in 2019 to 40,500 in 2021;
- Homeowners’ interest spiked in mortgage refinancing (up 124% in 2020 compared to 2019), but also in buying a second home(up 53% in 2020, slight decrease in 2021);
- Ways to improve the living space, which for many, also became the workspace, was also mainstream for both homeowners and renters; consequently, searches for home improvement keywords significantly increased during 2020 compared to 2019: home office design (up 125% in 2020), apartment plants(up 53 % in 2020), renovation plan and other DIY-related keywords (up 50% in 2020).
Here is the detailed 3-year comparison, including Google trends charts that show some interesting spikes: https://www.point2homes.com/news/us-real-estate-news/real-estate-google-search-terms-point-to-shifting-interests-3-year-analysis.html (currently in private mode).
Check out this report…it’s terrific! Just click and you’ll get it.
Words to the Wise
Agents/brokers, use these words in your marketing to attract clients:
- For buyers – use affordable house/condo for sale, first-time homebuyer, tiny home for sale, luxury home/condo for sale, penthouse for sale
- For renters – use houses for rent near me, subleasing
- For homeowners – great home office designs, home renovation costs/loans, buying second homes, buying vacation homes, buying rental homes
(You’ll note that some of the words/terms in Point2’s report that generated a lot of interest, such as mortgage refinancing and eviction moratorium, are now down-trending. Just use words/terms that are consistent with your current and local market.)
Thanks to Point2.