Here are some tips to corral, beat and even prevent burnout.
Know that Burnout Happens to the Best of Us
Professionals working in the real estate industry are often loaded down with high stress, unforgiving time frames/deadlines, and/or seemingly inordinate pressure and expectations from their clients, colleagues and family.
If you thought you were stressed during this now-fading, protracted seller’s market buoyed by historically-low-interest rates, burnout may be knocking more loudly on your door in this now shifting, softening market with climbing interest rates, the highest inflation rate in 40 years and even more limited inventory.
Please choose one answer:
1) I am ready to join EXP Realty.
2) I am interested in EXP Realty and need more info.
3) I am not interested in EXP Realty.
* If you answered “#1” congratulations. You are about to join the fastest-growing real estate company in the world. Tim and Julie Harris are inviting you to join them at EXP Realty. Text Tim directly for the next steps: 512-758-0206. (text only please)
* If you answered “#2” please watch the videos and check out the other intel on this site. http://whylibertas.com/harris .
* If you answered ‘#3’ no worries. You will want to check out whylibertas.com/harris so you can at least know what EXP Realty is and why so many agents are moving to EXP.
Here are some tips to help counteract burnout and, perhaps, even prevent burnout from taking hold of you while you’re working too hard for too many days and too many hours.
Make a Plan
Julia Martin Frazier, a realtor with Monument Sotheby’s International Realty, said that when her busy season kicks in, she “…wakes up to days packed with appointments, deadlines, emails and phone calls and…it doesn’t stop until I go to bed…”
Martin Frazier relies on rigorous organization to help her create order and balance to her life via…
- systems for contract management, scheduling ad communications
- automated reminders for deadlines
“…because my brain can’t possibly handle retaining all the details of every transaction all at once.”
Take a Break
Robert Radcliffe, a Luxury Market Specialist with Sotheby’s International Realty, swears by recharging his internal battery with breaks.
He takes as much time off as possible during the weekends to help ward off burnout. However, when burnout truly moves into his body and mind, he’ll take an entire month “…to clear my head.”
Both Martin Frazier and Radcliff start and punctuate their days with exercise and meditation practices to provide stress-free moments for themselves. Those moments take their minds off work and generate the necessary stamina to thrive under pressure.
Seek Out New Activities
Just as you reboot your technology to get rid of glitches, Ruth Pearce, a coach to burned-out project managers, encourages rebooting and/or shaking up things in your life. Pearce suggests that her clients try new-to-them activities. Such activities can be as “normal” as playing tennis or climbing trees and as out-of-the-box as ax-throwing or go-kart racing.
Studies show that new activities boost dopaminergic activity in the brain that’s associated with motivation and rewards. Pearce said that new activities “…provide a temporary reset…” and that a temporary reset may be all someone needs in order to rejuvenate themselves.
Tips to Help Stay Motivated, Productive & Inspired
- Having the right digital apps and tools can help make the difference – apps such as Trello for checklists, task reminders, file notes and Headspace for meditating and mind clearing before sleep.
- Having “everything” in one place (in the cloud preferably) so you can find it all easily and then easily share it all with clients and colleagues on any device.
- Cultivating solid, consistent relationships with mentors, guides and/or coaches who can help you develop a strong work-life balance.
- Embrace the fact that everyone requires the opportunity, time and energy to step back and take care of their own needs…if you don’t create this opportunity for yourself, no one will do it for you.
URGENT! Exclusive Invite: Join Premier Coaching for FREE! You read that correctly, Premier Coaching for the first 30 days is 100%, no strings attached FREE. Here is what you get: DISC Personality Test, Seller and Buyer Scripts, Presentations, Lead Generation Systems, Market Shift Plan, Real Estate Treasure Map, Members Only Community Groups (and a ton more). The best part is you will have a DAILY Live Coaching Call with a Harris Certified Coach. Yep, you read that correctly….every weekday you will attend a semi-private coaching session with your coach. All of this is 100% FREE. Of course, you want to join Premier Coaching. There is Zero Risk and joining costs you nothing. This is the Real Estate Success system you need in this quickly changing market. Join Premier Coaching NOW.
Thanks to Inman and Bloomberg.